- The law states that the minimum tread depth is 1.6mm
- Four illegal tyres could cost you 12 points on your license and £2500 each
- Your vehicle must not have radial tyres on the front wheels and cross ply tyres on the rear wheels, it is also illegal to have a cross ply tyre on one side with a radial on the other
- You must ensure correct tyre pressure
- A cut in excess of 25mm or 10% of the section width of the tyre, whichever is the greater, measured in any direction on the outside of the tyre and deep enough to reach the ply or cord would deem the tyre illegal.
- Any cut in the tyre no matter how small which exposes cords, deems the tyre illegal.
- There must be no lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial fracture of its structure, neither must any portion of the ply or cord structure be exposed.